About Dr. Quinn
Dr. Linda Quinn joined the Ferndale Schools family in August 2009. During her tenure, she has led the school district through significant changes in educational expectations and challenging economic times.
Her two main areas of focus:
- Preserving and enhancing high quality education for ALL children and
- Providing meaningful opportunities for all stakeholders to participate in the governance of their school district.
Under Dr. Quinn’s leadership, Ferndale Schools:
- was the first school district in Whatcom County to offer full-day kindergarten in every school
- was the first district to begin implementing a plan for providing one-to-one technology to all secondary students
- remains the only district in the county that offers an eight-period high school schedule, giving students more opportunities to take science, art, music, world languages, Career & Technical Education and other electives
Dr. Quinn has worked closely with the School Board to design ways to give the community more input into the decisions of the school district:
- created seven ongoing citizen advisory committees (Communications, Facilities, Graduation, Multicultural, Safety, Student, Technology)
- encourages community, staff and students feedback through frequently offered surveys
- provides town-meeting style community forums
- increased community participation in School Board meetings
During Dr. Quinn’s tenure, the Ferndale School Board was named Washington State’s School Board of the Year in 2012-2013 and has earned the title Board of Distinction for four subsequent years. In addition, the Board won the statewide Celebrating Diversity Award in 2014.
Dr. Quinn was presented with a Ken Gass Community Building Award in 2014 for outstanding contributions to increasing community caring, empowerment, and connections that improve the lives of children, youth, and families.
Before coming to Ferndale Schools, Dr. Quinn served as
- district administrator and high school principal in Grass Valley, California (2 years)
- English teacher, a middle school principal, a high school principal, and an executive director in the Puyallup School District (30 years)
- Principal in Residence at the U.S. Department of Education in Washington D.C. (1 year)
Dr. Quinn has earned:
- Bachelor’s Degree (summa cum laude): Washington State University
- Master’s Degree in School Administration: Western Washington University
- Doctorate in Leadership for Learning: University of Washington
Dr. Quinn has been married to Ken Quinn for 40+ years and they have two children who both live in Portland, Oregon.