Beach Elementary School, located on Lummi Island, is part of the Ferndale School District. In 1919, there were two schools on Lummi Island – the North End School located off Blizard Rd. and the South End School on Legoe Bay where our Fire Hall is today. These served the growing Island population of 335 farmers, fishermen, cannery workers and Asian laborers. A fire destroyed the South End School in 1919. Public hearings were held and it was agreed to find a central location and build a school large enough to accommodate the entire student population.
Five acres was deeded from the township and in August of 1920 a $10,000 school building was started and completed just four months later with all volunteer labor from the Island. Enrollment has fluctuated over the years but averages about 41 students.
In 1941 when Lummi Island School District 32 was incorporated into Ferndale School District and our current PTO was established. The forties also brought a petition for two teachers to handle the six grades at Beach.
In 1976 community members, staff, and parents joined together to submit an application to the state for Remote and Necessary designation. This was granted in 1977 and has helped to relieve some of the financial burden of operating Beach School.
We are that school at the end of the long worn road-built and maintained on the love and determination of the residents of Lummi Island. This is our history.